Our history

1940 – Our passion for coffee started in the 1940’s, when our grandfather, Azeglio Martella, born in 1895, opened a grocery store in the Castelli Romani. There he started selling coffee.

1950 – High quality coffee and a great skill in treating with customers drove Mr Martella to open a bar in the centre of Ciampino, a small town where he lived with his family. It was 1950 and Ciampino was very important for its airport, the first in Italy, where different cultures would meet and mix. This first bar is where Azeglio bought his first roasting machine and started his business.

He travelled abroad to introduce his coffee and make it known to different countries. This tradition has been inherited by his nephews who have increased the business with new technology, always preserving the tradition and the passion as that first bar in 1950. This formula has brought great success; and during these years CAFFE’ MARTELLA has strengthened its position in international markets, enjoying widespread appreciation and achieving many quality awards not only for our products but also for our customer care.

2008 – Our MAXIMUM CLASS blend, for instance, in 2008 won the best coffee award in Germany judged by SCAE (Speciality Coffee Association of Europe.

We sell all over the world, helping and leading our partners to start their own business, giving them advice and knowledge to become a part of our family-run business.

CAFFE’ MARTELLA has always been synonymous in Europe with entrepreneurial tradition and technological innovation. Today we are proud to say our name is associated with quality, integrity, trustworthiness and reliability.